Thursday, March 11, 2010

Banana bread rocks !



..or in yesterday's case Apple Bread.

I thought I would post once every week, but here's one more for this week.

My son has a major sweet tooth. And for the last one month I have indulged him with his request ( read - demand ) for Banana bread. So, anyway, every weekend, I baked him different versions of Banana bread. One week along with bananas we added Zucchini , the other day we added apple. And yesterday, since we ran out out bananas, we baked an apple bread.

What is really funny about this is that, my son hangs onto every word I say when I am baking ! Every instruction is followed, every request is met with, toys are cleaned up and so on :-) Also, he 'assists' me with baking. He helps me with mixing up the ingredients, he has learnt what each ingredient is for the bread, he knows baking 'terminology' and he is learning to tell time by looking at the clock ! I should probably mention my earlier attempts to help him recognize numbers weren't really going anywhere ! So, now he is learning numbers and time since he has to wait for a certain amount of time for the bread to bake and then to cool down . Also, he holds his little sister close to him when I open or close the oven , so she doesn't come close to it ! Its really cute :-)

My husband loves the bread that I bake , so does our baby who makes hmmm hmmm sounds while eating it :-) So, I thought I would share the recipe for those who would like it. It was a recipe that a friend of mine gave me and it is simple and easy to follow.

Banana Bread

Preheat over to 350 deg F/ 180 deg C
2 c. flour
1 tsp. soda, salt
1/2 c. shortening (I used canola oil instead of shortening)
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 c. mashed banana
1 tablespoon vinegar + milk to equal 1/2 c.

Mix dry ingredients together. Cream together shortening and sugar;
Add eggs & beat till fluffy. Add dry ingredients alternately with
bananas and milk. Mix well after each addition. Pour into greased
bread loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour at 350 degree oven. Check if
toothpick or knife inserted to center comes out clean, when this
happens the bread is ready to come out of the oven:)
Enjoy!!!

Not only do all of enjoy eating the bread, I enjoy the time that I spend with my son during the baking . Because, once he satisfies his appetite and sweet tooth, its all about what do we do next ! But for the one hour or so , we enjoy all that there is about baking the bread !Together we create something fun and edible :-)

1 comment:

  1. I think I will have to try your recipe,that looks amazing.Yummo!!!

    ReplyDelete