Saturday, May 28, 2011

Weekend reading with your Cuppa Joe

Yesterday, on twitter, I read a tweet on my timeline.. and read the content on it and it infuriated me - just like it did thousands of others..So I re-tweeted it ..



Read for yourself if what Urban Outfitters is doing by ripping off this indie designer's idea .  

So anyway, I went to bed , still thinking about how big corps do this every so often , and how the whole issue would unfold . 

I woke up this morning and hello ! To my surprise I read this tweet on my timeline : 


woah ! I read the article in bed , just as soon as I could rub my eyes and read it clearly . Yes, I am an I-phone  junkie ! 
Yay ! Hallelujah !! I did a little victory dance as best as I could - while in bed - trying not to wake my husband . 

I am genuinely happy for the designer truche as the power of social media pressure got to Urban Outfitters

Do they not have their own designers or are they running out of steam that they now have to blatantly steal ideas from other designers? No, they haven't apologized for anything. They simply took the design off their shelves . 

Will they address the issue ? Who knows ? Maybe they will ..wishful thinking ? I think so. 

So, silence is golden ?? I don't think so . This kind of silence with no apology is hurting their brand .After committing a mistake, the first step to set it right is to apologize, in my mind. Will someone tell Urban Outfitters that for me ? Surely, they have a PR guy reading all the negative publicity thats going around. 

For the record , I love the designs in truche's shop . Something good did come out of this ugly episode. I know there was overwhelming support - what did people do pre- social media days ?!  And I hope the negative publicity for Urban Outfitters has translated into tons of sales for truche.

Another one of my recommended reads is from Pikaland - Illustration and Innovation .

Interestingly, this one also addresses the issue of being a copycat ! Honestly, guys, that was not the theme I was going for  ! It just happens to be trending topic this week :) 

I like to save the best for last !

From the very innovative and intelligent mind of Isa Noisette -  Using Branding to reflect what you believe in . 

Just in case you aren't familiar with Isa, she's this superwoman who runs 2 businesses , takes care of 2 kids under the age of 3 , blogs often , guest posts often...the list could go on. Her blog - The Academy - is awesome.and she puts out really fantastic information out there. So, hop on over and give her some love. 

Have a wonderful weekend ..and don't forget to enter my giveaway here

No comments:

Post a Comment